[ntp:questions] Interesting results with PPS

Mauro Fiacco Mauro.Fiacco at ipaccess.com
Thu Feb 8 09:01:25 UTC 2007

Terje,

Isn't a good thing that if two clocks disagree they are discarded? It's
excellent! The local clock has PPS, therefore chances are that it is
accurate (based on historical data). The good frequency stability
values, provided by PPS, implies that time accuracy should be maintained
even if several samples are discarded.

Assuming that the probability of jitter for different packets is
uncorrelated, only packets providing similar error values are used.
While large discrepancies are thrown out. Even for two packets, if they
agree on the measured error, the probability is that they are correct;
if they disagree it is not possible to take a decision and it is better
relay on the local clock.

Also, in my experience, I never seen samples being discarded... clock
hopping is the usual behaviour... But when it comes to NTP, experience is
often not enough!

Mauro

--
Mauro Fiacco