[ntp:questions] Using both Server and Peer in ntp.conf

Darren Dunham ddunham at redwood.taos.com
Thu Feb 8 21:21:37 UTC 2007

Hal Murray <hal-usenet at ip-64-139-1-69.sjc.megapath.net> wrote:
> If your machine is in an airconditioned machine room, the
> average temperature is probably pretty stable.  I'd guess
> a second per week would be conservative.

> If your machine is in an environment with poor temperature
> regulation, the day to day average temperature is probably
> the important consideration.

Unfortunately, ntp isn't going to average on that kind of timescale.  So
it also depends on the amount of difference and when in the cycle you
disconnect.  If you think of the applied correction as the slope of a
slow sine wave, you'll "fly off" when the server disappears.  If you're
unlucky and that happens at the steepest part of the wave, then
correction could drive the clock away more rapidly than you might
expect.

--
Darren Dunham                                           ddunham at taos.com