[ntp:questions] Wanted: Quick way to check that all workstations have the correct NTP time.

Dmitry Ivanov dimss at telecentrs.lv
Fri Feb 9 09:16:08 UTC 2007

On 9 Feb 2007, at 03:12, nicough at gmail.com wrote:
> Currently I check the workstation event logs to determine if the time
> is correct.
> How can I query my local NTP server, to check that all 10 workstations
> have the correct time?

I would write simple script that will report time to server (UDP
packets, files or something else). The server will check reports
every N minutes or seconds. Every time when server notices incorrect
report, it would raise an alarm ("red bulb on the wall").

In windows environment, workstations may have scheduled task to put
current date-time to specific file on fileserver (say, samba). Simple
shell script will check age and correctness of these files (compare
mtime and their content). This simple system should work OK if you
require precision of two seconds.