[ntp:questions] Meinberg DCF77 C51 with Linux 2.6

Terje Mathisen terje.mathisen at hda.hydro.com
Mon Feb 12 05:06:33 UTC 2007

Harlan Stenn wrote:
> All this talk of gender benders and null-modem adapters is exactly why I
> use the Yost serial connector scheme:
>
>  http://yost.com/computers/RJ45-serial/
>
> My notes from http://ntp.isc.org/Support/ConfiguringParseRefclocks say I
> used DCE adapters for the serial ports on our Meinberg GPS167BGT and a DTE
> adapter for the Meinberg DCF77-C51

There's one glaring omission in this "standard": It should have
suggested creating a set of short Male-Female twist cables!

This would allow you to use standard Cat-5 for all longer runs, then
adding one of the twisters at either end, instead of having to crimp up
non-standard cables.

BTW, Sun use RS232 (DB9) to RJ-45 adapters on all the console cables
I've seen. :-)

Terje

--
- <Terje.Mathisen at hda.hydro.com>