[ntp:questions] Using ntpdate -b SERVER shortly after SERVER boots

Donald Murray, P.Eng. donaldm314 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 10 00:42:28 UTC 2007

On 2/9/07, Hal Murray <hal-usenet at ip-64-139-1-69.sjc.megapath.net> wrote:

> >> We have thousands of isolated remote networks which have no reliable
> >> source of time. At each site we have one Linux machine which acts as
> >> the ntp server (let's call it SERVER). Our users are able to set the
> >> clock on this ntp server, based on eyeball-and-wristwatch. Yuck.
> >>
> >> SERVER config:
> >> server  127.127.1.0     # local clock
> >> fudge   127.127.1.0 stratum 10
> >> driftfile /etc/ntp/drift
> >> authenticate no
>

> >Two things!  Use the "-g" switch when you start ntpd.  That will cause
> >it to unconditionally set the clock to a reasonable approximation of the
> >correct time (within +/- ten milliseconds).  You can also add the
> >"iburst" keyword to each of your "server" statements in ntp.conf.
>
> His only "clock" is the local system clock so the -g isn't going
> to do anything.
>
> I expect the iburst will help a lot, but I don't remember anybody
> confirming that this special case works correctly.  Hopefully
> the OP will report back after trying it.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Yes indeed, it's only a "clock". My two-year-old daughter would
be a more accurate source of time.

Okay, I've added iburst to the SERVER as follows:
server  127.127.1.0 iburst      # local clock
fudge   127.127.1.0 stratum 10
driftfile /etc/ntp/drift
authenticate no

It still takes 3 minutes or longer for 'ntpdate -B SERVER' to succeed.
Unless anyone has some other suggestions, it looks like I'm going to
have to use /bin/date....

More details on power for the curious. These are drilling rigs and all
"power" comes from generators. Our computers plug into a UPS, but
those occasionally fail (especially if there's a lightning strike).