[ntp:questions] Wanted: Quick way to check that all workstations have the correct NTP time.

Ry malayter at gmail.com
Mon Feb 12 13:49:27 UTC 2007

On Feb 8, 7:12 pm, nico... at gmail.com wrote:
> Currently I check the workstation event logs to determine if the time
> is correct.
> How can I query my local NTP server, to check that all 10 workstations
> have the correct time?

The easiest way I can think of: Assuming these are XP or newer
machines, write a script that runs "w32time /monitor" on each client
and appends it to a log file stored on a shared file server. Like so:

w32tm /monitor /computers:mytimeserver >> \\mytimeserver\myfileshare
\timelog.txt

Schedule this to run at some interval so the machines don't step on
each other with file locks (12:01 for the first workstation, 12:02 for
the 2nd workstation, etc.)

Another way to do it would involve Group Policy: you would configure
w32time to act as a server on each machine, either with a domain group
policy or a local computer policy. You could then run the w32tm /
monitor command (or any other NTP tool) from any monitoring point. At
this point, all of the workstations would be time servers themselves,
and would answer NTP queries on UDP port 123.

With the second solution, you would also have to use Group Policy or
manual confiugration to allow the inbound traffic through the windows
XP SP2 firewall.

Regards,
Ryan