[ntp:questions] Resolution and Precision

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk
Tue Feb 13 17:51:07 UTC 2007

Uwe Klein wrote:
> David J Taylor wrote:
>
>> Thanks, but I don't see page numbers here:
>>
>>   http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1305.html
>>
>> Nor can I quickly see the definitions...
>>
>> David
>>

> This?:
> Many if not most Internet timekeeping systems
> can tolerate jitter to at least the order of
>
> the intrinsic local-clock resolution,
> called precision in the NTP specification,
>
> which is commonly in the range from one to 20 ms.
>
> uwe

Who knows?

In documents I was required to write, ambiguous terms like this were
properly defined.  The Internet documents usually define terms like "may",
" should", "must" etc. for different levels of compulsion in requirements.

Yes, a glossary (in the Wiki?) would be an excelletnt idea.

Cheers,
David