[ntp:questions] Resolution and Precision

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk
Wed Feb 14 08:18:59 UTC 2007

mills at udel.edu wrote:
> David,
>
> RFC 1305 was the seat of furious controversy. I consider the only
> authorative document is in PostScript, later in PDF. The IETF and I
> have engaged in serious disagreement on PDF formats as against Postel
> ASCII. Everything, and I mean everything today is in PDF - Governent
> documents and forms, University documents and forms, IEEE standards,
> ACM and IEEE publications and everything else I do is in PDF. So,
> what you see is what you get. The PDF of RFC 1305 is on the NTP
> project page.
> Dave

Thanks, Dave.

I see that reference 25 points to:
  Abstract:
http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/database/rfc/rfc1305/rfc1305a.pdf
  Body: http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/database/rfc/rfc1305/rfc1305b.pdf
  Appendices:
http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/database/rfc/rfc1305/rfc1305c.pdf

On page 11 of the body, the word "precision" is used in the context where
I would use "resolution".  It isn't used in the sense of "how close to the
correct time is this clock", which I might call accuracy.  Perhaps it
would be helpful to have these terms defined somewhere?  Perhaps the terms
are used differently by different cultures, even!

Cheers,
David