[ntp:questions] how will this effect stability

Uwe Klein uwe_klein_habertwedt at t-online.de
Wed Feb 14 22:24:19 UTC 2007

Terje Mathisen wrote:

>> can i introspect this somehow while it is running?

> Possibly, if you have crypto keys configured. In that case many (but not
> all!) config file parameters might be entered/modified using ntpdc
>
> Anyway, with a relatively stable clock and iburst you'll only be offline
> for a number of seconds if you restart the deamon.
Hi Terje,

I had the aquired information on delay distribution in mind.

I have changed my setup @ ~19:00MET adding "tinker huffpuff 160000".
Going to have a look at statistics tomorrow.

currently the system is connected over dsl( which adds about 65ms delay,
later at its final place it will sit behind an ISDN basic rate line
( 8/16kiB throughput) but only 32ms added delay.

I am still thinking about patching ntpd to force polling at times
where i can guarantee an idle ( low delay ) line.

uwe