[ntp:questions] Dispaying nanoseconds

David L. Mills mills at udel.edu
Thu Feb 15 00:35:10 UTC 2007

David,

Note that the nonsignificant bits at the low end of the fraction word
are purposly filled with a random bitstring. My machine has a precisioni
-19, so there are 19 meaningful bits in the fraction along with a
carefully manufactured 13 bits of fuzz. This is done both to make it
harder to predict timestamps and smooth out tiny wiggles due to roundoff
and bias. It doesn't make sense to split the microseconds in the
readouts. For what it's worth, the statistics files display offsets to
the nanosecond.

Dave