[ntp:questions] how will this effect stability

Uwe Klein uwe_klein_habertwedt at t-online.de
Thu Feb 15 13:53:58 UTC 2007

Hi Ryan,

Ry wrote:
> On Feb 14, 4:24 pm, Uwe Klein <uwe_klein_habertw... at t-online.de>
> wrote:
>

>>I am still thinking about patching ntpd to force polling at times
>>where i can guarantee an idle ( low delay ) line.
>>

> Wouldn't traffic shaping make more sense? We use the traffic shaping
.......good advice, snipped.
> you are connecting to an ISP directly, you might ask them what your
> options are.
The bottleneck is handled by autodialing cisco boxes
_and_  another department.

I have enough problems fending of the BOFH and "off into the weekend after
major changes" problems.
I am not going to wheedle that guy into introducing QoS stuff.

But I have full control over (nearly/99%) of all traffic
which would lend itself to ticking of ntpd to go look and ask _now_ .
( We/I had that discussion a couple of weeks ago.)

G!
uwe