[ntp:questions] how will this effect stability

Uwe Klein uwe_klein_habertwedt at t-online.de
Fri Feb 16 14:52:21 UTC 2007

Ry wrote:
> On Feb 15, 7:53 am, Uwe Klein <uwe_klein_habertw... at t-online.de>
> wrote:
>

>>The bottleneck is handled by autodialing cisco boxes
>>_and_  another department.
>

> These probably have the requisite QoS features; you could "gift-wrap"
> the configuration changes for the sysadmin and say "all we have to do
> is load this config file and test".
I would have to stick my head into cisco boxes.
At the core I am a hardware engineer who additionally does the
processing backend for some hardware instrument.

>>I have enough problems fending of the BOFH and "off into the weekend after
>>major changes" problems.
>>I am not going to wheedle that guy into introducing QoS stuff.
>

> As my aged mentor used to say, "there are seldom good technical
> solutions to behavioral problems." I have been in similar situations
hehe, nicely put.
let me put a tangent to that:
some behavioral problems are better left unsolved.
( you are at optimax, stupid, stop medling! )

> before. But if it is truly a case of the BOFH getting in the way of
> business objectives because he/she is lazy or incompetent, I think you
> *should* have a chat with senior management. (After an open and honest
> discussion with the BOFH of course.)

The BOFH aspect is not that bad. I get along with him in a magnificent way.
But his job is to keep IT infrastructure of a  complete institute with
lots of longhaired scientists (and their freshly aquired Linux Cluster)
running.

Being a bit tight at the rear and BOFHish character traits seem to be
a job requirement.

The guys who later will use data from this system are a very small group
in this institute.
I am not quite sure whose chair will be put out on the lawn in case of foot
stamping ;-)

> Regards,
>   Ryan

G!
uwe

PS: asside from introducing some humor to the conversation my
     objective is to have a contained solution. i.e. as few
     external service requirements as necessary.