[ntp:questions] ntpd.exe fails, while its NT service continues to run

Martin Burnicki martin.burnicki at meinberg.de
Mon Feb 19 10:58:36 UTC 2007

Dave,

mills at udel.edu wrote:
> Nick,
>
> That message is not from the NTP version that leaves here. I have no
> idea under what circumstances it appears. The version that leaves here
> automatically continues to send packets as long as the DNS name resolves
> to a valid IP address. Whether this is good or not is in the eye of the
> beholder. Only Meinberg knows for sure.

Right, the message is not in the code which currently leaves ntp.org.
However, it has been in the code which *has left* there and which has been
used to build that version of the Windows port of NTP. The error message
comes from a piece of Windows-specific code.

The currently distributed Windows version is based on an older version of
the source code because recent versions of ntpd trap under Windows, and the
reason for this has not yet been found :-((

Martin
--
Martin Burnicki

Meinberg Funkuhren