[ntp:questions] refclock use causes core dump of ntpd

wa6zvp wa6zvp at gmail.com
Tue Feb 20 04:21:24 UTC 2007

Hello all

I have just built a new FreeBSD 6.2 box with ntp=dev-4.2.5p8 to test
some refclocks I have.

One of the clocks is a TrueTime TL-3, a semi-consumer WWV based
clock.  Its data output format matches
some/most of the other TT clocks that use the refclock_true driver.
(driver 5).  99 times out of 100, ntpd
dumps core when the serial line is attached.  I did get it to stay up
exactly once, and the driver worked
like a charm, but the other 99+ times its started it coredumps.
Here's the best I've got at this point:

>From /var/log/messages:
Feb 19 19:29:58 lunar kernel: pid 27288 (ntpd), uid 0: exited on
signal 6 (core dumped)

Using gdb (which I know next to nothing about, btw) I did get this:
0x282aeecb in kill () from /lib/libc.so.6
(gdb)

So, does anyone have any suggestions on where to go now?
I am going to try one or all of the following:
1) Try an older FBSD release like 5.4 or even 4.8
2) Try an older released version of ntpd.
3) See if running in DEBUG has any other hints.

Any suggestions appreciated,

         Roger, Harvey Mudd College