[ntp:questions] unexpected multicast client operation

none none at none1.invalid
Wed Feb 21 02:12:17 UTC 2007

Hi,

I am using the NTPD (v4.1 I think) that comes out of the box with RHEL 3
and I have multicast set up. What I am seeing confuses me though.
Every time the server sends the multicast packet the client on the RHEL3
machine does a client/server NTP transaction back to the server. Isn't the
whole purpose of multicast so the clients just all listen and not talk to the server ?

I dont have the server listed in the clients config so it is finding the
server via the multicast message.

thx