[ntp:questions] Packet loss on peer associations?

Jan Ceuleers janspam.ceuleers at skynet.be
Thu Feb 22 15:46:38 UTC 2007

All,

I have recently started peering two of my NTP servers. One is a primary
server, the other only has Internet-based sources of synchronisation.
They are attached to the same LAN, which is lightly loaded, as are the
servers themselves (CPU usage rarely exceeds 1% and there is little disk
activity).

Quite often though, the association misses a beat (e.g. the reach number
reported by ntpq -p is 376 or another combination of mostly 1s and few
0s). I would expect to see this in the presence of packet loss, but I
really don't think that that is the case here.

Note that I have clamped both maxpoll and minpoll to 6 on both sides
(because otherwise the problem was even worse, whenever the two peers
did not agree on the poll interval).

Is this a problem?

(One server is running ntpq 4.2.3p41 at 1.1401-o under Linux 2.4.20 on a
P4, the other ntpq 4.2.2p4 at 1.1585-o under Linux 2.4.31 on a soekris Geode).

Thanks, Jan