[ntp:questions] multicast - TTL

David L. Mills mills at udel.edu
Sat Feb 24 00:55:17 UTC 2007

Danny,

The TTL support in ntpd was specifically designed for an expanding-ring
search. It has nothing to do with the specifications NTPv3 or NTPv4.
With current Unix semantics, it is operative only in multicast/manycast
modes. I haven't verified recently, but for a long time it didn't work
in IPv4 broadcast.

There is no intent to bring into discussion the time-to-live/hop-count
issue, but if you read RFC 760 carefully:

   "Time to Live:  8 bits

     This field indicates the maximum time the datagram is allowed to
     remain the internet system.  If this field contains the value zero,
     then the datagram should be destroyed.  This field is modified in
     internet header processing.  The time is measured in units of
     seconds.  The intention is to cause undeliverable datagrams to be
     discarded.

It was the habit at that time, including the gateway code I wrote, to
decrement the ttl for each 30-second interval the packet was held on a
queue. Once upon a time the Internet was like that.

As I said, it is a simple matter to seed the ttl table with whatever
values seem useful. It does not seem like a good idea to change the
rules between unicast, multicast and manycast.

Dave