[ntp:questions] Connection peaks

independence independence at blinkenlights.se
Sat Feb 24 13:46:03 UTC 2007

I have some strange peaks in the number of connections to my machine.
It's usually about a couple of hundred of connections, but a copule of
times a day I get a few thousands of connections instead. The traffic
seems to be directed to my NTP server. The ammount of traffic on the
NTP port is only about 100kbit/s, but there are very many connections.
I can have 10000 connections at the same time, which is kind of much.
My machine didn't take it very yesterday and the round trip times
rised to about 500ms so the time went a bit out of sync. Why are there
so strong peaks in the number of connections? I'm in the SE pool, my
server is on 80.252.175.45.