[ntp:questions] (Software) timeserver for windows being broadcast-able incl. keys

Erik e.van.duijn at heineken.nl
Sun Feb 25 14:05:42 UTC 2007

Hi Danny

thanks for your input

> > I am looking for a (software) time servers (to run on Win2000) that
> > can send out broadcast messages together with (three) security keys
> > (for authoring)
>
> Well ntpd works on Windows though I'm not entirely sure what you mean by
> 3 security keys or authoring. ntpd supports the autokey protocol details
> of which you can find in the documentation area of the website:http://www.ntp.org/

what I mean is that the clients expect three keys in the broadcast
message to be sent along
These keys are defined in  /etc/ntp/keys
For example
1     M       <key1>
2     M       <key2>
15   M       <key15>
else they will refuse to see the broadcast as one that can be trusted
and will not correct the time
This means that the prog sending out these broadcasts will have to
send along these keys

BTW If this is the 'autokey'  you mentioned is what I don't know; I
will look into the info-pages you mentioned

> > BTW: A different config on clients will not be possible since clients
> > are as-is
> > (guarantee-issue supplier)
>
> That seems to be a strange statement for software.

It concerns machines with an integrated industrial PC here running
Linux
We might run into probs with supplier when it comes to guarantee
issues when fiddling with the standard config of these machines

> > I know of several hardware servers that can do this job, but does
> > anyone know of any software time server capable of doing this job?
>
> The hardware servers depend on ntpd in order to work so I'm not sure
> what you think you get which is any different.

Euhh.. sound logical but again; I am new in this area. I will read the
remaining info on ntp.org website

Thanks again for the input
Erik