[ntp:questions] Stability problem on PowerEdge (SuSE 9.3)

Hal Murray hal-usenet at ip-64-139-1-69.sjc.megapath.net
Sun Feb 25 18:56:28 UTC 2007

>Now i think it's probably an network issue.
>A few hours after starting ntpd it always looks like this
>     remote           refid      st t when poll reach   delay   offset
>jitter
> bigben.solnet.c 195.66.241.3     2 u  849 1024  377  2033.34  992.089
> 0.816
> elk.trapper.ch  10.0.0.2         2 u  928 1024  377  2186.13  964.833
>22.731

Are you on the end of a slow and busy link?

That's a 2 second delay.  The offset of 1 second makes me think
that the system got started when the link was idle and now
the round trip time is 2 seconds.  ntp will assume that the
delay is symmetric.  You would see something like this if
all (most) of the delay was in one direction.

Note the reach data of 377 shows that no packets are getting lost.