[ntp:questions] (Software) timeserver for windows being broadcast-able incl. keys

Danny Mayer mayer at ntp.isc.org
Mon Feb 26 10:12:54 UTC 2007

Erik wrote:
> Hello Danny
>
>>> broadcast key 1 2 15
>>> (since on client no subnet-address is specified, only
>>> 'broadcastclient')?
>> No, that's wrong. broadcast takes the broadcast or multicast address
>
> ... but the client has no address specified, just 'broadcastclient'
> what would be the subnet-address to make sure that all clients
> (approx. 40) will receive the broadcast ?
>    255.255.255.255 ??

Broadcast is for the server side. broadcastclient is strictly for the
clients and only takes an optional novolley argument which you don't
want. Your example shows broadcast (I assume this was for the Windows
box which needs this. The clients use the broadcastclient line.

>> followed by the key and one key number. If you add a second key it will
>> likely write over the first. Choose just one key to use. Remember it's
>> the server authenticating to the client and not the other way around.
>
> ok, I assumed while on the client these three keys are present, all of
> these three keys are also to be expected in the broadcast
> Should I then read the client's key-list as an OR list then? I.e. or
> this key, or that key then broadcast can be 'trusted'
> In other words: I can just pick one out?

I don't believe that you can use more than one key here since the server
will only send the broadcast packets with one key. Steve might be able
to say something about this part.

Danny