[ntp:questions] help req for manually setting ntpd in server and serve to ntpdate and ntpd in clients

muruga muruga86 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 27 13:59:42 UTC 2007

Hi,
    can any one help me for manually setting time in ntpd and serving
to clients in  an isolated network I have added  tos orphan 5 cmd in
ntp.conf file of server and starated ntpd.i can update time by using
ntpclient and windows date utility but when i tried with ntpdate
utility it throws a error saying  server dropped: server not sync too
long when i captured the received ntp packet from server the time set
by reference source field is NULL and stratum is 5.

i am manually setting time in server using date cmd  "date
073123162007'' and staring ntpd

ntp.config file for server

tos orphan 5 #must for manual configured time
restrict 127.0.0.1 #restirct loopback
restrict 192.168.0.0 mask 255.255.0.0 nomodify notrap #serve lan
clients
driftfile /etc/ntp/drift
logfile /var/log/ntp.log
broadcastdelay 0.008

ntp.config file for client

server 192.168.0.1
restrict 127.0.0.1 #restirct loopback
restrict 192.168.0.0 mask 255.255.0.0 nomodify notrap #serve lan
clients driftfile /etc/ntp/drift logfile /var/log/ntp.log
broadcastdelay 0.008

is the configrations for server and client correct do i need to add
any other parameters in config file to successfully obtain time by
ntpdate cmd in clients

Thanks in advance

murugan