[ntp:questions] multicast - wrong interface

mills at udel.edu mills at udel.edu
Tue Feb 27 20:39:36 UTC 2007

Martin,

The original intent for network interface selection with DVMRP and IGMP
was to broadcast on the local net(s) and encapsulate the packet to the
next gateway on the reverse-path-forward spanning tree. Thus, the
selection of exit interface was determined by the protocol. Only in the
cast where the spanning tre was rooted at the sender could more than one
interface be used. I suspect that paradigm perished with the demise of
the MBONE.

Dave