[ntp:questions] NTP not synchronizing to server

george_joby kottayamachayen at gmail.com
Sat Jan 6 23:47:36 UTC 2007

Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
> george_joby wrote:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > I am trying to configure NTP for Redhat Linux AS 4 update 4 running in
> > DL585 with Windows Server 2003.
> > My ntp is no longer synchronizing with the servers specified in
> > ntp.conf
> >
> > Client: Redhat Linux ntp.conf
> >
> > server 172.16.0.201 prefer
> >
> <big snip>
>
> The server address you mention is on an RFC-1918 private network and
> presumably it's your local network or you wouldn't be able to reach it
> at all!  It is serving its local clock.  It is claiming stratum one
> which is a very dangerous thing to do.  Please, please, NEVER connect
> this mess to the internet; somebody might believe that stratum 1!
>
> If you MUST serve your local clock, "fudge" it to stratum 10 like this:
> #
> # Declare the local clock to be the clock of last resort.
> # It will be used to serve time in the absence of any other.
> #
> server 127.127.1.0              # Local clock, unit 0
> fudge 127.127.1.0 stratum 10
>

> Your client does not believe the server because the server is serving an
> unsychronized local clock that has NEVER been synchronized.
>
> NTP is a hierarchical protocol.  The root of the hierarchy is supposed
> to be an atomic clock somewhere.  If you are unable to connect to the
> internet, the latest version of ntpd supports an "orphan mode" which
> might work for you.  See the documentation; I've never needed it and
> can't tell you how to configure it.  Orphan mode will not give you the
> correct time; it just makes everyone synchronize to whatever incorrect
> time you happen to have.
>
> What I can tell you is that what you are doing will never work!

Hi

Yes I am connected to a server using cross cable and in our requirement
we didnt want to connect to any external server thru the internet.

Client (172.16.0.200) and Server (172.16.0.201)

[root at txnaslload03 ~]# ping 172.16.0.201
64 bytes from 172.16.0.201: icmp_seq=1 ttl=128 time=0.106 ms
64 bytes from 172.16.0.201: icmp_seq=2 ttl=128 time=0.137 ms

I will check the orphan mode .... But I would like to know whether
there is any issue in synchronzing with a Windows server running
win32time.

I just added a Linux server also in the client ntp.conf and now my
client is synchronizing with that Linux server and the time is reseting
... But not with Windows ....

Thanks