[ntp:questions] Time accuracy in relation to position accuracy

Terje Mathisen terje.mathisen at hda.hydro.com
Tue Jan 9 12:02:00 UTC 2007

markus.juenemann at gmail.com wrote:
> The essential question is whether we have to check about 200 GPS
> receivers for incorrect position data or whether this wouldn't really
> cause any problem.

IFF these GPSs actually stay in "Zero-D" mode with a position error of
multiple km, without notifying the user that the timing signals cannot
be depended upon, then something is really wrong!

OTOH, if the GPS has a startup sequence where it first gathers a 3D
position, then verifies that this is reasonably close to the configured
position, then you might be OK after all.

Terje

--
- <Terje.Mathisen at hda.hydro.com>