[ntp:questions] DST 2007 handling via NTP?

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Fri Jan 12 01:40:04 UTC 2007

Isaac Grover wrote:
> Good evening from Wisconsin,
>
> I just read about the DST changes that are going to affect all
> date-oriented computing systems starting in March.  Specifically, I am
> curious about the timestamps that NTP will hand out during the first
> two weeks of March.
>
> The way I understand the snippet below about the NTP protocol from
> Wikipedia, NTP doesn't care about DST or time zones in general, so NTP
> servers will continue to hand out sequential timestamps before, during,
> and after the DST change goes into effect.  Am I correct in my
> understanding?

You got it right on the first try.  NTP not only doesn't care about time
zones, it doesn't know anything about time zones.  Time zones, if
supported at all, are the responsibility of the operating system.  Some
O/S's set a time zone for the whole system and everyone uses that time
zone.  Others support time zones on a per user basis so that a system in
Chicago could support users in New York with Eastern time and users in
Los Angeles with Pacific time.