[ntp:questions] Stratum goes back to 16 all the time

independence independence at blinkenlights.se
Sat Jan 13 08:37:44 UTC 2007

I tried leaving the server on it's own now for a week or two, I havn't
restarted niether ntpd or the server it self, but my time doesn't seem
to be very accurate anyways. I tried adding my server to the swedish
pool (www.pool.ntp.org), but I get a very low "score" since my server
replies with bad times I think. It also reports that my server doesn't
reply at all once in a while, I don't know why this would be. I have an
uptime for about three weeks, and I have had access to the internet the
whole time. I do however think that I have some packetloss, I tried
pinging a server at my university 1000 times, and 6 packets got lost.
This is below 1% packetloss, but the timeserver doesn't answer like 10%
om the time or so. I have tried to get rid of this packetloss, and
contacted my ISP, but no luck so far. Is a packetloss of below 1% very
bad?