[ntp:questions] Stratum goes back to 16 all the time

Timo Felbinger Timo.Felbinger at physik.uni-potsdam.de
Sun Jan 14 16:40:09 UTC 2007

On Sun, 14 Jan 2007, david Woolley wrote:

> - the clock frequency on your PC is more than 500ppm fast - replace the
>   motherboard;

Or just use tickadj, which can adjust the frequency in steps of 100ppm
and thus can bring your clock into +/-50ppm of the correct frequency;
ntpd is then well able to cope with the remaining error.

Timo

PS: Contrary to what the man page says ("newer machines ... should NOT
use the program"), I find tickadj very useful on poor PC hardware, with
current vanilla Linux kernels. Just call it once, before starting ntpd,
to set the optimal "tick".
(Maybe that man page should be modified? I find this statement a bit
harsh and unfair to this useful little tool!)