[ntp:questions] Stratum goes back to 16 all the time

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Sun Jan 14 16:41:21 UTC 2007

independence wrote:
> Harlan Stenn wrote:
>
>>If your stratum is at 16 it means your machine is not syncing with anything.
>>
>>Have you read and followed the instructions at http://ntp.isc.org/Support
>>(especially the chapters on Configuring NTP, Starting NTP, and
>>Troubleshooting NTP)?

> I changed some configuration options, like adding iburst etc that was
> suggested, so it's not stratum 16 as often as before, but it still goes
> back to 16 every now and then.
> It seems like my server is unable to answer to queries sometimes, maybe
> because of packetloss.
> I got an email off this list where someone said that NTP was designed
> when networks was usually not very stable, and packetloss was common.
> But still, my server doesn't seem to handle this very well.
>
> This is my peers list now:
> ntpq> peers
>      remote           refid      st t when poll reach   delay   offset
> jitter
> -nissan.ifm.liu. .PPS.            1 u   12   64    3   28.275  -259.30
> 15.966
> +timmy.lysator.l .GPS.            1 u   33   64    3   29.503  -234.20
> 10.295
> +timehost.lysato .GPS.            1 u   24   64    3   30.316  -242.76
> 12.433
> *Time1.Stupi.SE  .PPS.            1 u   45   64    3   24.547  -228.69
> 14.096
> +ntp1.sth.netnod .PPS.            1 u   17   64    3   30.314  -244.02
> 13.673
> -ntp2.gbg.netnod .PPS.            1 u    5   64    7   30.375  -218.94
> 30.203

It appears, from the ntpq banner, that ntpd has been running for, at
most, three or four minutes!  Ntpd has selected a synchronization source
but has not yet corrected a very substantial offset.

Let that run  for at least thirty minutes and show us the output of ntpq
-peers again.  If that display was taken after ntpd had been running for
more that three or four minutes, there is something wrong with your
internet connection.