[ntp:questions] Stratum goes back to 16 all the time

David Woolley david at djwhome.demon.co.uk
Sun Jan 14 17:31:41 UTC 2007

In article <Pine.LNX.4.58.0701141646090.16319 at uranos.quantum.physik.uni-potsdam.de>,
Timo Felbinger <Timo.Felbinger at physik.uni-potsdam.de> wrote:

> Or just use tickadj, which can adjust the frequency in steps of 100ppm
> and thus can bring your clock into +/-50ppm of the correct frequency;
> ntpd is then well able to cope with the remaining error.

The reason I didn't suggest this is that I don't believe that there isn't
any reasonable way in which a working crystal oscillator could be out
by 500ppm, which implies that either the oscillator isn't being
disciplined by the crystal, or that something else is causing the
frequency to be misinterpreted.  If the oscillator is free running,
trimming the error will leave you with a time source of very poor
stability.