[ntp:questions] Servers with identical ntp.conf keep falling out of sync

shoppa at trailing-edge.com shoppa at trailing-edge.com
Wed Jan 17 13:35:21 UTC 2007

Steve Kostecke wrote:
> On 2007-01-16, Gushi <google at gushi.org> wrote:
>
> > restrict default ignore
> > restrict 127.0.0.1
> > server 0.us.pool.ntp.org
> > server 1.us.pool.ntp.org
> > server 2.us.pool.ntp.org
>
> This won't work at all. You've told ntpd to ignore all NTP packets from
> any possible source. And you've not told it to accept NTP packets from
> your time servers.
>
> Please read http://ntp.isc.org/Support/AccessRestrictions and follow the
> "decision tree" for setting your default restriction.

Maybe someone can educate me (and Steve you've done a good job at this
in the past), but I see the "I've restricted even the servers I
specified from telling me what time it is" question come up regularly
in these discussions. Is there some website, or some old set of man
pages, or some popular book, or something out there that causes this
same question to occur over and over and over again?

Tim.