[ntp:questions] Excessive NTP configuration of a stratum 2 server

Steve Kostecke steve at kostecke.net
Wed Jan 17 18:07:31 UTC 2007

On 2007-01-17, Richard B. Gilbert <rgilbert88 at comcast.net> wrote:

> shoppa at trailing-edge.com wrote:
>
>> Eric wrote:
>>
>>>For the group's amusement, below are the results of an NTPQ "peer"
>>>command to a us.pool.ntp.org server (located in Florida).
>>
>> I will agree with "excessive"!
>
> Perhaps the documentation needs to emphasize that nptd can't use more
> than ten servers at once

The documentation clearly states that any peer which is not among the
first ten peers sorted by synchronization distance will be discarded!
See http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/ntpq.html !!

If you feel that this information belongs in the community supported
documentation please feel free to add it!!! If you feel that this
information belongs somewhere else please go through the usual
channels!!!!

>and that this sort of thing borders on abusive!

This server is the exception! Not the rule!! Usually we see that people
don't use enough servers!!!

> I'm sure the server in question would benefit from a much more cluefull
> selection.  It's ridiculous for a server in Florida to use a server in
> Japan!!

!!!!!

--
Steve Kostecke <steve at kostecke.net>