[ntp:questions] Trimble Acutime Gold

Ronan Flood usenet at umbral.org.uk
Wed Jan 17 20:18:08 UTC 2007

On 16 Jan 2007 12:32:16 +0100,
Jon K Hellan <jon.kare.hellan at uninett.no> wrote:

> Trimble has a new "GPS smart antenna" - Acutime Gold.
>
> Whilst the Acutime 2000 has an RS-422 to RS-232 conversion box, the
> Acutime Gold comes with with an RS-422 to USB conversion box. It is
> supposed to achieve at least the same accuracy using the TSIP protocol
> (Palisade ntp driver) as the old Acutime 2000.
>
> I thought USB inevitably gave poorer precision than
> RS-232. Apparently, I was wrong. How do they do it?

I'll be interested in any responses to this: personally I think USB is
a no-go on our platform, SunFire V210 with Solaris-8, and that Trimble
have abandoned the NTP arena -- no mention of NTP in the Acutime Gold
docs AFAIAA.

For our purposes, using refclock_palisade, we have begged an Acutime 2000
with RS-422-to-RS-232 interface module (not RoHS compliant) to replace a
Palisade ditto; the claimed accuracy of the event-triggered time is 320ns
on the 2000 vs. the Palisade's 40ns, but the Gold is worse IIRC ...

--
Ronan Flood <usenet at umbral.org.uk>