[ntp:questions] Synchronizing Linux clients with Windows Server 2003 NTP

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Thu Jan 18 19:12:32 UTC 2007

george_joby wrote:
> Our requirement is all our linux and nonstop systems synchronise to the
> Windows 2003 server. We do not want Windows to syncronise with an
> external clock and it should just synchronise with its internal clock.
>
> So what I am doing is just configuring with a client (Redhat Linux) and
> server (windows 2003) to check whether Linux gets synchronise with
> Windows server and that is not happening. Our customer need this setup.
>
> If i see the ntpq -pn in Linux it will show the correct offset and also
> ntpdate works fine. But Linux not ready to synchronise with Server.
>
> [root at txnaslload03 ~]# ntpq -pn
>      remote           refid      st t when poll reach   delay   offset
> jitter
>  16.74.32.162    .LOCL.           1 u  967 1024  377    0.355  -180.34
>  5.407
>
> Thanks
> George
>
> Ry wrote:

<snip>

Windows does not include NTP by default.  It runs Microsoft's
implementation of SNTP, a stripped down version which lacks many of the
features and safeguards included in the full implementation.
Microsoft's version, unless it is very recent, does not comply with
RFC-2030, the standard for SNTP. Systems running SNTP are not considered
acceptable as servers unless they are connected to a hardware reference
clock, such as a GPS Timing Receiver.

You can get a Windows version of NTP but there's no point if you insist
on operating without either an internet server or a hardware reference
clock.

You can "require" anything you please but the software is not obligated
to provide it.

If you client does not care about having the correct time you could
configure the local clock on the Linux system as a "reference clock" as
follows:

In ntp.conf, put:
#
# Declare the local clock to be the clock of last resort.
# It will be used to serve time in the absence of any other.
#
server 127.127.1.0              # Local clock, unit 0
fudge 127.127.1.0 stratum 10    # Ensure that no one with a choice
# will believe this clock!!

If you MUST use the Windows system as the server, you will have to
install NTP on it.  There are three Windows versions available
Windows NT / 2000 / XP / Windows .NET Server 2003
http://norloff.org/ntp/  - Maintained by TerjeMathisen
(terje.mathisen at hda.hydro.com)
Windows NT 4, Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows 2003 Server - English -
http://www.meinberg.de/english/sw/ntp.htm Maintained by HeikoGerstung
and
http://www.meinberg.de/german/sw/ntp.htm  Windows NT 4, Windows 2000,
Windows XP, Windows 2003 Server - German - Maintained by HeikoGerstung