[ntp:questions] Synchronizing Linux clients with Windows Server 2003 NTP

Maarten Wiltink maarten at kittensandcats.net
Thu Jan 18 23:01:29 UTC 2007

"Steve Kostecke" <kostecke at ntp.isc.org> wrote in message
news:slrneqvgoq.k4p.kostecke at stasis.kostecke.net...
> On 2007-01-18, george_joby <kottayamachayen at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Our requirement is all our linux and nonstop systems synchronise to
>> the Windows 2003 server. We do not want Windows to syncronise with an
>> external clock and it should just synchronise with its internal clock.
>
> Then your requirement precludes the use of NTP.

I don't get this. Install NTP on the Windows server, configure the
local clock (at stratum 10, please), done.

No, it won't make the real time magically appear on that server.
I think George is aware of that.

Insisting that NTP _doesn't work_ without a source of UTC somewhere
sounds like a political agenda. It does work. In a degraded manner,
for sure, but more gracefully so than some of the moping that can
be witnessed here.

Groetjes,
Maarten Wiltink