[ntp:questions] Synchronizing Linux clients with Windows Server 2003 NTP

Steve Kostecke kostecke at ntp.isc.org
Fri Jan 19 04:26:33 UTC 2007

On 2007-01-18, Maarten Wiltink <maarten at kittensandcats.net> wrote:
> "Steve Kostecke" <kostecke at ntp.isc.org>
>> On 2007-01-18, george_joby <kottayamachayen at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> Our requirement is all our linux and nonstop systems synchronise to
>>> the Windows 2003 server. We do not want Windows to syncronise with an
>>> external clock and it should just synchronise with its internal clock.
>>
>> Then your requirement precludes the use of NTP.
>
> I don't get this.

Let me rephrase that: "Then your requirement precludes the use of NTP
on the client systems unless you install NTP on the Windows server."

> Install NTP on the Windows server, configure the local clock (at
> stratum 10, please), done.

Right. Except for the fact that the OP seems to be determined to use
w32time.

> No, it won't make the real time magically appear on that server.

There's more to it than that.

Without a proper "time base" how is NTP supposed to ensure that one
second is acceptably close (i.e. +/- a handful of ms) to one second?