[ntp:questions] Synchronizing Linux clients with Windows Server 2003 NTP

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Fri Jan 19 14:43:39 UTC 2007

Steve Kostecke wrote:

> On 2007-01-18, Maarten Wiltink <maarten at kittensandcats.net> wrote:

>>>Then your requirement precludes the use of NTP.
>>
>>I don't get this.
>

> Let me rephrase that: "Then your requirement precludes the use of NTP
> on the client systems unless you install NTP on the Windows server."
>

>>Install NTP on the Windows server, configure the local clock (at
>>stratum 10, please), done.
>

> Right. Except for the fact that the OP seems to be determined to use
> w32time.
>

>>No, it won't make the real time magically appear on that server.
>

> There's more to it than that.
>
> Without a proper "time base" how is NTP supposed to ensure that one
> second is acceptably close (i.e. +/- a handful of ms) to one second?

I think that should should be "+/- a hand full of microseconds"!   If
the time base is off by more than 500 PPM a substantial number of
clients may not be able to synchronize to it at all!

Is this a documentation issue or a "wishful thinking" issue?  A
substantial portion of the traffic here is due to people wanting to
"synchronize clocks to each other" without regard to UTC.  It has always
seemed clear to me that NTP was designed to synchronize clocks to UTC
and that synchronization of clocks to each other is a happy consequence
of "things equal to the same thing are equal to each other"!