[ntp:questions] Servers with identical ntp.conf keep falling out of sync

Hal Murray hal-usenet at ip-64-139-1-69.sjc.megapath.net
Sat Jan 20 20:16:56 UTC 2007

>> restrict default ignore
>> restrict 127.0.0.1
>> server 0.us.pool.ntp.org
>> server 1.us.pool.ntp.org
>> server 2.us.pool.ntp.org
>
>This won't work at all. You've told ntpd to ignore all NTP packets from
>any possible source. And you've not told it to accept NTP packets from
>your time servers.

This comes up often enough that I recognize it...

Is there some reason the system can't automagically add the minimal
restrict entry to accept replies from servers that it is configured
to use?  Or at least log an error/warning message if the replies will
get dropped.  Or add a server keyword to do it...

Is this already on the feature-request list?