[ntp:questions] Synchronizing Linux clients with Windows Server 2003 NTP

mills at udel.edu mills at udel.edu
Mon Jan 22 21:47:27 UTC 2007

George,

As I said in my message to you, Windows shows dispersion 10s, which is
ten times the ntpd default of 1 s. You will need to either modify
Windows code, ntpd code or tinker the maxdist to something above 10 s.

Windows shows a precision of 6, which will cause the ntpd server to
bounce around. If you exect to use multiple servers in the interest of
robustness, you will have to tinker the mindist to something well above
16 ms. You would be much better advised to use SNTP from a shell script.

Dave