[ntp:questions] Accuracy of GPS satellite signal ?

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk
Wed Jan 24 15:00:25 UTC 2007

Richard Eich wrote:
> If I were to set up five or six global locations, each time-
> synchronized to a local GPS receiver, how much variability would I
> expect there to be between the time as indicated by the GPS
> satellites used by each local GPS receiver.
>
> I'm happy to click on a link and do my own reading.  Just haven't
> been able to find the right link yet (still looking, though).
>
> Thx

I'm sure there will be more complete answer, but I would have thought that
tens of microseconds was the order you would see from a PPS-synced NTP
server.  This is based on my own very simple and very old [PC] setup.  You
should be able to do better than this:

  http://www.david-taylor.myby.co.uk/mrtg/pixie_ntp.html

GPS alone would be microseconds, if not better.

Cheers,
David