[ntp:questions] Apple Mac mini instabiliy

Danny Mayer mayer at ntp.isc.org
Sat Jan 27 23:26:55 UTC 2007

Dmitry Ivanov wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I am migrating from Linux workstation to Mac mini (Intel 1.66 GHz). I
> like most of this computer and this OS. The only thing is really
> wrong: ntpd performance.
>
> Our three local NTP servers are stratum-2 and their offset usually
> does not exceed 2-3 ms.
>
> First, I have tried "official" way of using NTP on Mac OS X. This
> resulted in ~600 ms offset after 24h of operation.

It would help if you showed the state of things using "ntpq -p -c rv" so
we could get an idea what's going on.

> OK, I have created my own ntp.conf and restarted "Network Time"
> service. My old Linux box has the same configuration with three local
> servers.

What's "Network Time"

> After several hour of operation, Mac mini still has 64 sec. polling
> interval. At the same time Linux box has reached 1024 sec.  Frequency
> displayed by "ntpq -c rv" is drifting between 6 and 8 all the time...

You shouldn't see a poll interval of 64 secs after that long so some is
definitely wrong but we can't tell without some data from the billboard.

> What is wrong with Mac mini clock? Do other Macs have the same
> instability?

It must be some kind of configuration issue. What version of ntpd are
you running? Also are your firewall's set up correctly? is 123/UDP open
to send and receive packets?

Danny