[ntp:questions] Accuracy of GPS satellite signal ?

Eugen COCA ecoca at eed.usv.ro
Sun Jan 28 16:43:31 UTC 2007

Please read the following documents:

http://tf.nist.gov/timefreq/time/gps.htm

We may find some diagrams with GPS to NIST time transfer error at:

http://tf.nist.gov/timefreq/service/gpstrace.htm

We are very happy to see error in the order on magnitude of tens of
nanoseconds.

I'm sure, on the road to the Internet, there are many other errors:
the RS232 port, PC motherboard and it's *bad* 14, 318182 MHz clock,
the NTP daemon, the network card, the switches, the routers, etc.

What I obtained with my servers are errors around 1 to 10 microseconds
from the GPS receiver to the motherboard but no sub microsecond error.

https://ecoca.eed.usv.ro/mrtg/ntp1usvro_offset_10.html - the best
possible results with the best possible PC I found (P2/333MHz -
Fujitsu/Siemens / FreeBSD 5.4 / Garmin GPS 18) - (no, P4, P4 Duo, P4
dual core are not good for timekeeping - I made tens of tests with
different machines and different brands and configurations)

and a more common result:

https://ecoca.eed.usv.ro/mrtg/ntp2usvro_offset.html (any other PC
brand and the same hardware / software configuration).

I have now two http://www.thinksrs.com/products/PRS10.htm and I plan
to use them and I also plan to hack the motherboards 14MHz clocks and
replace them with http://www.febo.com/time-freq/hardware/ICS525 boards
(driven by the rubidium 10MHz outputs).

I'll post here the results and I am sure there wiil be the best we may
obtain in a non-professional environment.