[ntp:questions] Accuracy of GPS satellite signal ?

Rob Kimberley time.bandit at btinternet.com
Tue Jan 30 08:55:36 UTC 2007

Hi Richard

500nS is very achievable with GPS. In fact, once installed and running for
24 hours, you will see better than a factor of 10 than that.

Factors to bear in mind though for this type of application....

1) Use exactly the same hardware at each site.

2) Antenna cable - important to ensure that you enter the correct antenna
delay figure when setting up the receiver to allow for cable delays
(remember you GPS position and hence your time is at the antenna and not the
receiver). 1nS per foot is a good estimate, so a long cable run (with
amplifiers etc) would quiclky put your system time off without the correct
compensation figure.

3) Oscillator - a good quality OCXO or most likely a Rubidium are needed, to
allow decent holdover in the unlikely event of loss of GPS. For your 500nS
mission statement, my personal recommendation would be Rubidium, as an OCXO
would quickly pass the 500nS figure if the unit had to flywheel.

Good luck.

Rob Kimberley

news:MPG.20242eda85df705498ad46 at news.verizon.net...