[ntp:questions] nptq -p slowness

Ronan Flood usenet at umbral.org.uk
Tue Jan 30 17:05:47 UTC 2007

Tom Smith <smith at alum.mit.edu> wrote:

> OK. Here's a stupid question. Under what possible circumstances,
> with what possible refid, would an A record lookup be meaningful
> in the first place? I agree with the (at least one) previous poster
> that the IPV4 PTR lookup is often helpful.

I'd say it's not meaningful, as when the refid is a "name" it's one
of the refclock names (GPS, MSF, PPS etc).

If the refid is an IPv4 address you could do a PTR lookup, then an
A lookup on the resulting name as a cross check.  That appears to be
what the xntp version of ntpq -p does, but not explicitly; I think
the A lookup is done internally by some library routine.

BTW Danny, your mail to the ntp:questions list isn't showing up in the
newsgroup.

--
Ronan Flood <usenet at umbral.org.uk>