[ntp:questions] nptq -p slowness

Maarten Wiltink maarten at kittensandcats.net
Wed Jan 31 09:14:06 UTC 2007

"Danny Mayer" <mayer at ntp.isc.org> wrote in message
news:45BDF362.802 at ntp.isc.org...
> Maarten Wiltink wrote:

>> IIRC, [the refid]'s either a string (for reference clocks) or a hash
>> (for ipv4/6). For ipv6, the original address can't be recovered. For
>> ipv4, the hash is an identity transform and people forget it's not
>> really an address.

BTW, I am assuming here that the refid is communicated as 32 bits.

>> Only the upstream server knows how it got that refid. The local host
>> can but guess. Perhaps tag bits are in order; certainly it's nice
>> for humans to see hostnames (and refclock names) where applicable and
>> possible.
>
> It only makes sense for refclocks. Otherwise use dig to do lookups if
> the refid is really an IPv4 address.

In another post, you pointed to the dig option in case 'you really need
to know'. Of course, if I trust my upstream servers and the people who
put them up, I strictly don't.

I still think it's _nice_ to see hostnames if possible. If humans
reacted as well to IP addresses as to DNS names, you wouldn't have a BIND
hat. Personally, I appreciate the existence of that hat, and that someone
wears it.

Groetjes,
Maarten Wiltink