[ntp:questions] nptq -p slowness

Maarten Wiltink maarten at kittensandcats.net
Wed Jan 31 10:47:23 UTC 2007

"Maarten Wiltink" <maarten at kittensandcats.net> wrote in message
news:45c05de2$0$325$e4fe514c at news.xs4all.nl...
>> Maarten Wiltink wrote:

>>> IIRC, [the refid]'s either a string (for reference clocks) or a hash
>>> (for ipv4/6). For ipv6, the original address can't be recovered. For
>>> ipv4, the hash is an identity transform and people forget it's not
>>> really an address.
>
> BTW, I am assuming here that the refid is communicated as 32 bits.

And I just found out that this assumption was wrong; it's a string
after all.

That should make it dead easy to pass information about what the value
in it means, should that discussion ever terminate on such a note.
For loop detection, a unique cookie suffices; it doesn't need to be
human-parseable or self-describing or in fact meaningful at all.

Groetjes,
Maarten Wiltink