[ntp:questions] What is the best program for Windows XP?

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.not-this-part.nor-this-bit.co.uk
Sun Jul 1 14:42:46 UTC 2007

Guy Macon wrote:
> Heiko Gerstung <heiko_removeme_.gerstung at meinberg.de> wrote:
>
>> Please download the new installer version from here:
>> http://www.meinberg.de/download/ntp/windows/experimental/ntp-4.2.4p3-RC1@foehr-o-win32-setup.exe
>
> I Downloaded it and installed it on a quad-processor Windows 2000
> Advanced Server system.
>
> It disabled the standard Windows Time Service and is running as a
> service, but I see no menu items, or desktop/toolbar icons for it.
> Is there a user interface that I can
> bring up to see the status?

Guy,

It has the same commandline tools as the other versions, so a quick
ntpq -p will show if things are OK.  You can also use the Event Viewer to
look for NTP-related items.  "Synchronised to <server>" is a sign the
program is working as well.

For long-term monitoring, there are some Windows-related hints here:

  http://www.david-taylor.myby.co.uk/mrtg/daily_ntp.html

  http://www.david-taylor.myby.co.uk/ntp/NTPandMRTG.txt

Cheers,
David