[ntp:questions] NTP under a Proxy

Steve Kostecke kostecke at ntp.isc.org
Thu Jul 5 14:43:21 UTC 2007

On 2007-07-04, Elio <elio.gi at gmail.com> wrote:

> Elio wrote:
>
>> My company LAN is protected by a Proxy, so I can't access internet
>> directly.

<snip>

> I don't have access to my company proxy host, so i can't configure it.
> The only pc that I can configure is my host pc.

You could try recompiling ntpd to use an un-priviledged port (i.e. >
1024) as the NTP_PORT. I've done this for a system behind a firewall
that I can't change and found that it works at the cost of partially
breaking ntpq/ntpdc. The NTP_PORT setting is defined in the NTP source
tree in ./include/ntp.h

You could run 'ntpdate -u ...' or 'sntp -u ...' (which uses an
un-priv'ed port) via cron.

If you can't get around the proxy by using a higher port, your only
choice may be HTTP Time Protocol (HTP). For more information see
http://www.clevervest.com/twiki/bin/view/HTP/WebHome

--
Steve Kostecke <kostecke at ntp.org>