[ntp:questions] Slightly OT: Looking for good GPS PCI time sources

Perry E. Metzger perry at piermont.com
Fri Jul 6 20:16:35 UTC 2007

I'm building a system for a client to measure network latencies in a
distributed system very accurately -- microsecond accuracy is desired
(though I suspect in practice we'll end up doing a bit worse). To do
this, I need to get high quality clock sources for the machines doing
the measurement. One obvious choice would be PCI cards that
synchronize to GPS.

I figure if any group has significant experience with such devices,
this one would -- anyone have any recommendations? Also, can anyone
think of another reasonable way to get this sort of accuracy on stock
PC hardware?

One consideration might be whether the cards in question allow readout
of the time as a single atomic operation -- if they don't, one can't
(for example) read the time without worrying about locking...

Perry
Perry E. Metzger		perry at piermont.com