[ntp:questions] NTP Delay Measurement

Elio elio.gi at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 08:32:28 UTC 2007

Hello to everyone.
I'm doing some tests about NTP delay/jitter for my company.
In these tests I would measure NTP delay performance.
My company LAN is protected by a proxy (as explained in this forum
previously) and in this moment I can't access directly to timeservers in the
world.

For my test I use a Linux pc with the daemon ntpd running and I use the util
ntpq (-p option) for measure the delay.

Is there someone that have tested the delay of variously servers in the
world?
Is there an official document of the performances of the timeservers ?

For me it would be enough to know the difference between a timeserver in
Italy, in USA, in Japan (for example) contatting them from Italy.

In this moment i'm doing my tests (from Italy) with a Stratum 1 NTP server
(GPS) in Francofort, but this server is located in my Company LAN.
Is there a real difference between Internet and a protected LAN or the
result could be similar?

Thanks for reading and I hope in a quick reply.
Best Regards,
Elio.